Pick N' mIX PUPPETS
I seriously love puppets. They are kind of life affirming arent they. I just think its amazing how much personality even the simplest puppet can exude with the slightest movement.
These guys are about as simple as they come. Apart from the split pins (brads) you should have pretty much everything you need at home to make these. The pictures in this tutorial mostly show the hand drawn robot that we made first, but the principle is the same with bits and bobs from magazines. We think its best when you mix hand drawn elements with things chopped from magazines but the mix is up to you!
what you need:
- Wooden bbq skewers
- Split pins
- Tape and glue
- A cereal box (or some cardboard)
- Paper and textas/crayons
1. Draw a robot, or a series of heads, bodies and limbs.
2. Cut out the pieces and glue them to a cereal box for reinforcement. This is also the stage where you want to chop up some bits of magzine that will mix well with your hand drawn parts. These will also need to be stuck onto cardboard and cut out.
3. Punch holes where your body parts will join together.
4. Decide which parts you want to join together and insert the split pins. This pic shows the straight up robot, but go crazy here with all the bits you cut out of the magazines too!
Think about how your puppet will best move and then tape on some bbq sticks. You don't want more than two or three on each one unless you have extra hands to operate them!
i like to move it move it!
These crazies love to dance! Why not set up a puppet theater and put on a show for some friends?